Mos handed heavy loss in Southern Cup Final

26_streatham_160122The Invicta Dynamos suffered a heavy 16-1 road defeat to Streatham IHC in the second leg of the NIHL Southern Cup Final on Sunday night as a shortbenched side struggled to compete with the high flying Redhawks.

The Mos were shy of several key players courtesy of injuries, covid issues and suspensions. Ben Clements started in net whilst Tom Annetts was his opposite number.

In the opening frame the visitors took until just 05.08 to add to their 7-1 lead earned in the first leg the night before – Brandon Miles teeing up Ben Ealey-Newman for the first of the night. That lead was extended at 10.46 – Scott Bailey and Danny Ingoldsby claiming assists as Ben Paynter beat Ben Clements to make it 2-0. The Mos hit back on the powerplay at 12.10 – Richard Harris tallying after work from Tomas Banovskly and Harrison Lillis – but it was a brief pause in the Streatham onslaught as the hosts then added another at 13.08 – Paynter touching the puck before Danny Ingoldsby fired in for his team’s third. A fourth followed quickly at 14.32 – Michael Farn and Milique Martelly claiming assists as Ben Ealey-Newman added his second of the night and soon after netminder Ben Clements was switched for youngster Owen Rider with Clements having already faced a similar battle on Saturday.

At 17.09 a powerplay allowed Streatham to make it 5-1 – Michael Farn and Ryan Watt involved in the build-up before Ivan Antonov got his name on the board. The first fight of the night then came at 18.00 – Brandon Miles and Mason Webster going toe-to-toe for the second time in two days in another heavyweight bout. Following the restart Milique Martelly made it 6-1 on the powerplay before the teams returned to the changing rooms with the cup tie already decided.

In the second period Streatham added three more to their tally – the first of the trio coming at 25.58 as Ryan Watt converted following work from Michael Farn and Thomas Beesley. The second followed at 28.32 – another on the powerplay this time from Conner Smith after passes from Ben Ealey-Newman and Brandon Miles. The last came at 32.03 – Stanley Ratcliffe adding his name to the growing list of scorers with an assist from Milique Martelly.

9-1 up after two, and 16-2 up on aggregate, the hosts showed little signs of slowing down in the last and relentlessly surged forward added seven more before time was out. The first two of these were shorthanded as a extremely fatigued Dynamos struggled to compete. At 40.52 – Ben Paynter stroked home for his second of the night after a pass from Danny Ingoldsby and at 41.17 Ingoldsby then added one of his own with an assist going to Michael Farn.

At 48.18 Streatham made it 12-1 on the night as Conner Smith beat Owen Rider after build-up play from Ben Ealey-Newman and Michael Farn and Smith then completed his hat-trick at 52.24 – this time Thomas Beesley and Ben Paynter getting the points for assists. Stanley Ratcliffe claimed his second of the evening at 54.34 after work from Milique Martelly and Ealey-Newman and Sameul Waller added his name to the scoresheet at 55.20 thanks to passes from Andrew Cook and Brandon Miles.

At 56.58 the second fight of the night followed as Mason Webster put in a solid showing against Ryan Watt in another heavyweight tussle before the last goal of the night finally came at 56.58 – Danny Ingoldsby completing his own hat-trick after a pass from Ben Ealey-Newman.

So it was one way traffic and an emphatic cup win for the Londoners who picked apart a short Dynamos bench to claim the first silverware of the season. Minus so many key faces the visitors were simply unable to compete though the effort level was there from the players that were abale to ice. Man of the match honours went to Joe Allen of the Dynamos and Conner Smith of the Redhawks.

Our Partners