Last gasp Thunder deny Mos points

mk_110218It was a heart-breaking road defeat for the Dynamos on Sunday night as they conceded 3 minutes from time to lose out 3-2 at the hands of the Milton Keynes Thunder in Buckinghamshire in the NIHL South Division 1.

Coach Kevin Parrish was able to boost his numbers and recall both netminder Damien King and forward Ashley Jackson to the roster that lost to the London Raiders the previous evening.

The opening period was played at a fast pace at both ends of the ice pad, keeping the supporters on the edge of their’ seats. The first decent chance of the game fell to Ashley Jackson after Louis Colvin found the Olympian in front of the home net with a great pass off the boards – unfortunately the usually cool Jackson saw his shot saved by netminder home netminder Tom Annetts.

Dynamos forward Brandon Webster’s charge at Rupert Quiney resulted in him sitting a 2+10 penalty but it was the Mos who almost opened the scoring on the shorthand – Ashley Jackson yet again working Annetts in the Thunder goal. Damien King had his first bit of action a few seconds later – saving from Rio Grinell-Parke with the Mos returning to full strength seconds after the save. The opening goal finally came on 4:42 – Steve Osman tapping the puck back to captain Arran Strawson who had his resulting slapshot tipped beyond Annetts by Mason Webster for 1-0.

The Dynamos should have built on the slim lead a few minutes later when Gregg Randall’s hold on Hoang resulted in him sitting a 2 minute penalty but the Thunder responded shorthanded with Michael Stratford feeding from a Rupert Quiney pass and hitting a deflected shot past King for 1-1 on 7:52.

Another regulation save by Damien King kept Thunder captain Jamie Line at bay whilst, at the other end, Jackson and Colvin combined again with the former producing another save from Annetts. The visitors ended the first period with 4 skaters after Mason Webster was judged to have slashed but the Mos defended their lines well to go into the interval tied at 1-1.

The second period started with the Mos successfully finishing off the Webster penalty with no danger or action for King to be concerned with however, a minute later, the Dynamos netminder had to be alert to deny Stratford after Jamie Line led a dangerous break that almost resulted in a goal. Both teams then had spells of defending minor penalties – first the Thunder via Greg Randall’s third penalty of the night, this time for delay of game, and then Invicta’s Scott Bailey was pulled for interference on Lewis Christie. The Dynamos were now on the shorthand following the Bailey infringement but when Mason Webster won the puck in the middle of the Dynamos zone he fed a delightful pass through the middle of two Thunder defencemen for Ashley Jackson to race onto and beat Annetts for 2-1 at 31:08.

Damien King was again called into action with a superb point blank save before Strawson at the other end saw a slapshot almost tipped in by Steve Osman. Tempers flared on 38:41 when Mason Webster and Rupert Quiney exchanged words before dropping the gloves – neither skater was able to throw a clean punch and the officials soon broke the pair up and gave them both 2+2 penalty minutes for fighting.

The final period commenced with the Mos looking to extend on their slim 2-1 lead as Strawson won the puck and set Bailey on an attack that finished with Zoisak hitting a deflected shot over the bar. They again tried to add a 3rd goal to the board on the 45th minute with Ashley Jackson wrapping around the Thunder’ net but Annetts getting down well at the back post to make the all important save.

The Mos were warned in the 48th minute with Rio-Parke again calling King into action but the Thunder finally drew level on 49:43 – Gareth O’Flaherty firing beyond King when the Mos should have done better clearing their lines. At 2-2 the game was now really open and both teams taking to the task of grabbing that all important winning goal. A few chances for the Mos continued to push the shot total up but it would be the Thunder who would grab killer strike and break the hearts of the Dynamos fans – Tom Carlon nabbing the winner on 56:16 with the visitors shorthanded after Tommy Ralph was penalised for hooking.

The Mos can take light from a spirited performance which saw them out shoot the Thunder by 49 shots to 38 but ultimately it was the missed chances and a bit of bad luck that went against them. Man of the match for the Mos went to Ashley Jackson with Tom Carlon picking-up the honours for the home side

Written by Lee Allen.

Our Partners