Rehak’s overtime winner sinks Thunder in MK

result10_miltonkeynes_151017Adam Rehak’s winner just 58 seconds into overtime saw the Invicta Dynamos return to winning ways on Sunday night as they overcame the Milton Keynes Thunder 2-1 in Buckinghamshire in the NIHL South Division 1.

The Dynamos iced an unchanged side from the team that faced Peterborough Phantoms on Saturday meaning that forward Callum Fowler was again the only absentee through illness.

The Mos registered the first shot of the opening game – Adam Rehak testing home netminder Tom Annetts within 25 seconds whilst, at the opposite end, Damien King was soon in the thick of the action saving from Ross Bowers. Grant McPherson had a great opportunity for the home side minutes later – a cutback by Alex Whyte left McPherson with virtually only King to beat – but he fired wide of the target.

The Mos were quick to break on every occasion they regained possession of the puck and when Scott Bailey led one of those attacks his forward pass to Seb Downing almost had the youngster through to face Annetts. Another great chance fell to the Thunder on 7 minutes – Ryan Handisides cutting a pass across Kings’ goalmouth but the incoming dashing Gareth O’Flaherty couldn’t tip the puck beyond the netminder.

Further half chances fell to the Dynamos courtesy of Mason Webster and Louis Colvin whilst Rio Grinell-Parke forced the save of the first period from King. With the period closing to an end young Brandon Webster took the first trip of the night to the penalty box for charging leaving the visitors to successfully defend on the penalty kill and see out the first period at 0-0 – although Josh Condren bravely took a shot to his ankle and had to limp away to the bench for treatment.

Damien King was denying Mcpherson within seconds of the restart in the second by saving well from close range. The Mos were on the backfoot when Adam Rehak committed to a high stick minor penalty but his teammates battled well to keep the score level whilst they waited to go back to full strength. D-man Ryan Morgan was unlucky not open his Mos goal account on 25 minutes when he grazed the side netting after Louis Colvin found him from behind the Thunder goal. Moment later Adam Rehak had Annetts fumbling a stinger of a shot with the rebound not falling kindly to any Dynamos forwards. A series of penalties followed on the Thunder with Nidal Phillips taking an interference penalty on 28.35 and then Rio Grinell-Parke for the same charge on 32.00 but neither powerplay led to the Mos breaking the deadlock.

A Josh Condren solo break had him skate through three Thunder bodies but he couldn’t tempt Annetts wide enough to push the puck beyond the netminder. That would be the last chance before the patient fans finally witnessed a goal – which fell the way of the home side. Adam Rehak lost possession of the puck in the Thunder end of the ice pad and a quick break led by Bowers and McPherson directed the puck to Jamie Line who had the beating of King for 1-0 on 38.44. There was time for Hallden Barnes-Garner to take a tripping penalty but the Mos couldn’t claw a goal back at the buzzer.

A big third period was now in need for the Dynamos but they couldn’t take any advantage from the remaining time left from the Barnes-Garner powerplay. Chances then fell to both sides – Brandon Webster firing close for the Dynamos whilst Grinell-Parke rattled Kings’ goal frame. Things started to look doubtful after 51 minutes with Mason Webster taking a two minute roughing penalty but the spirited Mos didn’t give-up – in fact the shorthanded side broke through the Thunder via Colvin and with the forward about to hit a shot he was hooked by Jamie Line leaving referee Blaine Evans to call a penalty resulting in a 4 on 4 game. The reduced quantity of skaters on the ice came to very little and both sides were soon back to full strength.

However, persistence finally paid off for Kevin Parrish’s troops – Brandon Webster firing past Annetts on 55.17 for his second goal of the weekend with the assist going to Harrison Lillis. The final 4 minutes passed by to leave the teams going into overtime.

The Mos started the additional period well and an early attempt by Rehak wasn’t troubling Annetts but, on 58 seconds, Annetts was picking the puck out of the net – Rehak finally beating the netminder with a drive inside the opening minute of overtime – Scott Bailey and Tommy Ralph assisting for a well-earned 2-1 win.

So the Mos take two points from the game and also maintain a 100% overtime record. Man of the match for the Mos went to forward Scott Bailey.

Written by Lee Allen.

Our Partners