Sorry night for Dynamos at Solent

solent_140117After an excellent weekend against the Chelmsford Chieftains the Invicta Dynamos were brought crashing back to earth on Saturday night as they suffered an 8-2 road defeat at the hands of the Solent Devils.

The Dynamos travelled to the south coast without the services of Haydn Wootton, Adam McNicoll, Brad Gutridge, Ashley Jackson and injured netminder Damien King. James Richardson started in the net with the returning John Dibble backing him up.

Arran Strawson registered the opening shot of the game within the first minute however home netminder Chico Cole comfortably kept him at bay. From then onwards it was down to Richardson to show he was more than capable of deputising for Damien King and he saved well from Matthew Lawday, Ben Lock and Richard Facey to keep the scores level. However on 04.25 he was beaten – Chico Cole saved from Adam Řehák and the puck flew high over the top of the Dynamos D-men for Alex Murray to score. The Mos then almost pulled level halfway through the first period – Callum Fowler and Josh Condren playing a one-two with Condren able to pull Cole wide but his shot was denied by the foot of goalie. At the other end, Richardson saved again from Alex Murray whilst Elliot Dewey got down well to slide and block a shot as the period came to a close.

Things went belly up for the Dynamos during the 2nd frame as they endured what was possibly their poorest period of the season. When Tommy Ralph lost possession on 21 minutes Alex Murray played Matthew Lawday the puck to smash beyond James Richardson for 2-0. Five minutes later Murray turned provider again as he teed up Aidan Doughty for 3-0 on 26.28. The Mos pulled a goal back immediately after – Arran Strawson threading a long pass to Mason Webster who rifled the puck beyond Chico Cole on 27.11 for 3-1. However literally a minute later Solent restored their 3 goal advantage – Doughty beating Richardson from a tight angle for 4-1 and a strike that would also see Richardson pulled and replaced with John Dibble. Bailey Wootton failed to convert past Cole on 34 minutes and a delay of game penalty on Josh Condren on 39 minutes led to a further Solent goal – Drew Campbell making it 5-1 at 39.31.

A big push was required from the Dynamos in the third period but that push failed to materialise as the Devils piled on more misery. Adam Rehak briefly had the Dynamos chasing only 3 goals when he slammed the puck past Chico Cole at 42.44 whilst on a powerplay but Matthew Lawday extended the lead to 6-2 on 44.51 and was assisted by Mark Pitts and Alex Murray. A disputed ‘did the puck cross the line’ moment followed when the Mos thought they had scored on 46.13 but complaints to officials resulted in captain Callum Fowler getting a 10 minute misconduct from referee Richard Belfitt. Alex Murray then made it 7-2 on 51.45, for his 4th point of the game. Fowler’s miserable night soon got worse in the 56th minute when the referee caught him spearing an opponent and handed him a match penalty as a result. With the Mos starting to lose their heads there was time for Mason Webster to receive a 2+2 for fighting on 57.11 before Lawday claimed his hat-trick on 59.34 to complete the scoring at 8-2.

Matthew Lawday picked-up the man of the match award for the home side whilst Adam Rehak was the nominated Mos man of the match.

Written by Lee Allen.

Our Partners