Mos pushed to the end by harrying Hornets

bracknell_171216It was another crucial win on the road for the Invicta Dynamos on Saturday as braces from Ashley Jackson and Adam Rehak, alongside efforts from Callum Fowler and Bailey Wootton, saw them narrowly overcome the Bracknell Hornets 6-5.

The Dynamos travelled to Bracknell without the services of Jarvis Mewett, Nicky Lewis, Adam McNicoll and netminder Damien King but were able to bring back goalie James Richardson who backed-up starting netminder John Dibble.

The Hornets registered the first shot of the game in the opening minute when ex-Dynamos import Michal Oravec evaded his marker and forced a right hand block by John Dibble. Moments later Invicta should have scored when Callum Fowler cut a pass over Hornets’ heads in the middle of the ice pad to send Adam Rehak clear but his deke pulled him too far wide to score. The Mos didn’t have to wait long for a goal however – a penalty on Bracknell’s Ryan Handisides for holding was punished on 03.23 by Ashley Jackson who prodded the puck past Nathan Gregory for 1-0 – the duo of Fowler and Arran Strawson assisting. The Hornets battled to keep in touch with the Dynamos and got the break they needed on 12.16 – Ondrej Pekarik beating Dibble unassisted from the left for 1-1. Roll-on a couple of minutes and the Mos regained the lead as an Ashley Jackson shot was pushed out to Adam Rehak who converted for 2-1 – Josh Condren claiming the second assist. Another powerplay a few minutes later, this time with Martyn Gray sitting for interference, put more pressure on the home side which helped the Dynamos grab a two goal advantage – Callum Fowler on the receiving end of a pass by Rehak from Jackson to make it 3-1 on 17.27.

Although the Mos started the second period brightly with an Adam Rehak shot saved on the line by Nathan Gregory they then fell asleep for a painful one and a half minutes. Firstly a mix-up at the back resulted in Ben Ealey-Newman making it 2-3 on 21.22 before Michael Oravec then made it 3-3 on 22.52 after skating through unchallenged. The Dynamos needed to energise and when William Stead and Bailey Wootton dropped the gloves it probably gave the visitors the lift they needed –Wootton winning the takedown on the fight. On 24.32 a masterful toe-drag by Rehak left him to roof past Gregory for 3-4, assisted by Strawson. Bailey Wootton then gave the Dynamos their two goal advantage back (3-5) by placing the puck past Gregory after reading a telling pass by Rehak on 37.07 – Brad Gutridge (who was playing in defence on line 3) getting the second assist.

A tense last period had both teams cancel each other put for 10 minutes before more suspect defending by the Dynamos left John Dibble out to dry again – the dangerous Ondrej Pekarik sniping his second goal of the night with the help of Dan Hughes and Harvey Hind-Pitcher for 4-5.
You felt the next goal would be crucial for the game result and the Dynamos got that crucial goal – the ever dependable Ashley Jackson expertly placing the puck past the outstretched grasp of Gregory on 53.29 – Josh Condren credited with his second assist of the game. The Hornets continued to press and pulled a goal back within the last four seconds of the game through Ben Ealey-Newman but the Dynamos defended the last 4 seconds to secure a 5-6 victory.

Double goal hero Ondrej Pekarik picked-up the man of the match award for the Hornets, with Ashley Jackson’s 2 goals and 2 assists giving him the honours for the Mos.

Written by Lee Allen.

Our Partners