Mos batter Bracknell in league opener

bracknellaway_11091611 goals without reply saw the Invicta Dynamos begin their 2016/17 league campaign in emphatic style as they hammered the Bracknell Hornets in their first home game of the new season.

Having claimed a remarkable victory in Chelmsford the night before, and with only one absentee in forward Steve Osman, the Mos were confident stepping out at the SilverBlades Gillingham and they did so as though they had a point to prove. From the first puck drop the hosts were dominant and that dominance was shown on the scoreboard as early as 03.06 – Harrison Lillis firing at net from the blue line and Conor Redmond swatting the puck to the ice and steering around the outstretched leg of Danny Milton for 1-0. At 07.01 it was 2-0 – Bailey Wotton beating the Bracknell D to a loose puck left of the goal and firing towards net where Milton made hard work of the save and allowed the effort to slip behind him. The goalie’s night was not to get better any time soon with the puck in his net again at 07.17 – Adam Rehak introducing himself to the fans at the SIlverBlades with a wrist shot from just in front of the blue line that found the top right corner of the target for his side’s 3rd. The Hornets briefly stemmed the flow as Jaroslav Kucej and Danny Hughes tested Damien King down the other end but the home side would add two more to their tally before the period was out. At 16.00 Arran Strawson’s blue line shot was tipped beyond Milton by Mason Webster for his first Dynamos goal before, at 18.56, the Bracknell D allowed Conor Redmond to react fastest to a rebound on the edge of the crease and he tucked the puck low into the far corner to seal a 5-0 first frame lead.

Having played the opening period at full throttle and built an already insurmountable lead the Mos could be forgiven for easing off in the second with a more even 20 minutes the result. Damien King was on hand to bat away Jaroslav Kucej’s shot from the left circle whilst Tom Fisher wasted the space he found the other side of the net by firing right into the netminder’s chest. Meanwhile Callum Fowler came closest for the Mos as he beat his man out wide, shifted the goalie with some stick work and sent a backhand flick off of the underside of the bar. Tempers then threatened to flare when Martin Gray was late on the puck and slashed the netminder’s glove before Brandon Miles and Ondrej Zosiak later exchanged cross checks behind the play. The final opportunity of the period then came the way of Josh Abbott at the back post but King scrambled across his crease to make the save and preserve the shutout.

In the final period the Dynamos reasserted their dominance and the one way traffic resumed – the result coming at 44.48 as Adam Rehak’s cross-ice pass found Nicky Lewis at the back stick and he swept back across the target and over the shoulder of Danny Milton for 6-0. Just seconds later, at 45.33, that tally was 7 – Arran Strawson’s slapshot from the right boards blocked by the pads of the goalie but Rehak reacting fastest in front and flicking the rebound high into the twine. Conor Redmond then spurned a chance when found with far too much time and space in the slot before the hosts added an eighth at 50.39. Bracknell back-up Kevin McGurk had just replaced Milton in net and his first task was to remove the puck from his frame as Rehak and Lewis again linked up well with the Czech picking out the Mos number 7 and Lewis rifling home from close left for 8-0. At 51.32 Bailey Wootton was then snapping at the puck on the edge of the crease – too much for the liking of Harvey Hind-Pitcher who hit out at him believing he had clashed with the goalie. Wootton did well to defend himself and an even bout ended with both players on the ice having landed punches. However the scrap merely halted the Dynamos for a brief spell and they resumed their scoring at 54.10 – Callum Fowler showing the magic home fans have become accustomed to as he weaved through traffic from the left corner and beat McGurk on the backhand for 9-0. Inevitably double figures would follow as, at 59.05, Arran Strawson was allowed to charge forward from the blue line and his slapshot found the top far corner with Bracknell’s goalie a mere spectator. With time winding down the Hornets were probably relieved that the final buzzer was in sight but the hosts added one more at 59.52 to complete the thumping. Haydn Wootton escaped on the breakaway and he coolly stick shifted left to ground the goalie and flicked over the line on the backhand to complete the perfect night.

So it was an emphatic win and an exceptional night for the Dynamos with Head Coach Kevin Parrish celebrating the end of a four point weekend on his birthday. The head honcho could not have written a better script and will have been delighted with the goals, the shutout and the hunger of his new look side. Man of the match awards went to 5 point import Adam Rehak of the Mos whilst Joshua Abbott took the spoils for Bracknell.

Written by Paul Bennett.

Our Partners