Osman and Condren can’t stop Raiders rally

wightlink_banner_130216Goals from Steve Osman and Joshua Condren were ultimately not enough to prevent the Dynamos losing out 4-2 to the Wightlink Raiders in Ryde on Saturday night despite a battling display on the Isle of Wight.

With no music, a temporary bar and other facilities also missing it was not the normal surroundings most would have been familiar with on previous encounters but the fact that the rink was open for business at all was credit to those on the island after recent well publicised difficulties. With the venue back up and running the game got underway and Callum Fowler twice went close for Invicta early on, one attempt saved by Matt Colclough, the other hitting the goal stanchion. However it was the hosts who would tally first – with Nicky Lewis serving a tripping penalty on the 6th minute, Ryan Webb took advantage to edge the Raiders in front assisted by Damon Larter and Jaroslav Cesky. Adam McNicoll and Callum Fowler tried to grab an equaliser but no goal was to come by the end of the first period.

In the second frame, ex-Dynamo Corey Watkins wiped out Ondrej Zosiak to give the visitors a powerplay in the 22nd minute and seconds later Steve Osman fired the equaliser past Matt Colclough assisted by the lively Callum Fowler and Eriks Ozollapa. Watkins was then barely back in the game before he fell afoul of the referee’s whistle once again – this time being on the receiving end of a 2+10 for a check from behind. Invicta failed to take advantage of the resulting powerplay though and went down a man themselves when Arran Strawson was penalised for hooking on 25.17 – a penalty that led to Wightlink going 2-1 up through the unmarked Cesky with Tribe and Larter claiming assists. The Mos then thought they had grabbed the equaliser in the 35th minute – Ozollapa’s shot appearing to cross the line, but when hooked away the referee blew-up – denying the Dynamos the opportunity to tap home an easy follow up. Arguments started on the ice as a result, Jacob Ranson and Chris Cooke trading blows – both hitting the ice at the same time. Seconds later Joshua Condren made sure the puck was over the line and grabbed the equaliser – his shot beating Colclough on 36.10, assisted by Strawson and Ozollapa.

In the final period Eriks Ozollapa had a great one-on-one opportunity electing to shoot rather than deke Matt Colclough who saved well at the feet of the Latvian. With chances for both sides passing by, a delay of game call on Arran Strawson at 54.52 then turned the tie. Wightlink would score to make it 3-2 via Jaroslav Cesky – the Mos claiming men in the crease but the officials unmoved and awarding the strike. Continued protests by Callum Fowler were in vein – the forward bringing his night to the end with a ten minute misconduct penalty that secured him an early shower. Late chances for Steve Osman and Strawson were then saved before it really was game, set and match at 59.54 – Ryan Webb finding the empty target now vacated by Damien King to bring an end to a lengthy unbeaten league run for the Dynamos.

So it was defeat for the Mos but through no lack of effort with the visitors perhaps unlucky not to leave Ryde with something for their efforts. Joshua Condren picked-up the man of the match beers for the Dynamos who had to quickly dust themselves down ahead of a home clash with the Chelmsford Chieftains the following night.

Written by Lee Allen.

Our Partners