Osman’s double downs the Raiders for Trophy win

steveosman_banner_051215Steve Osman claimed a brace to help guide the Invicta Dynamos to another road win against the London Raiders on Saturday as they cruised to a 7-2 victory at the Lee Valley Ice Centre.

Although the game was a ‘dead rubber’ due to the Chelmsford Chieftains having already etched their name on the trophy, Kevin Parrish’s side still played with the same determination you would expect in any fixture. Coming into the tie the Mos were missing all three Wootton brothers as well as Brad Gutridge, Damien Welch and Grant Baxter but they still outnumbered their hosts who had 13 players available. It would be a long night for London and Jacob Ranson had the first shot on goal after only 50 seconds which netminder Ryan Bainborough fumbled to safety. However, Invicta didn’t take long to open the scoring – Callum Fowler tapping home at the back stick after Eriks Ozollapa flicked the puck across the goalmouth in the 3rd minute – Ranson grabbing an assist. Down the other end it wasn’t until the 4th minute that Damien King had to make his first save of the night – getting down quickly to deny Mason Webster as equalising goal. London’s Rio Evander-Grinell then took matters into his own hands in the 6th minute – tripping Joshua Condren and giving the Dynamos a powerplay from which they scored straight away courtesy of Steve Osman, assisted by Callum Fowler and Elliott Dewey.

2-0 down, the Raiders needed a strong second period and Damien King had to make the first save of the frame as he stopped Rio Grinnell-Parke at his feet with the speedy forward eyeing up a shot. When David Oliver then received two minutes for hooking on 33.35, the Mos clinched their second powerplay goal of the night to make the score 3-0 at 34.54 – Arran Strawson with silky skills to beat Ryan Bainborough for an unassisted effort. Just two minutes later, Welsh wizard Nicky Lewis made it 4-0 – the forward rifling a shot into the top corner of the goal assisted by Steve Osman to give the visitors a comfortable lead at the end of the second frame.

Goal number five for Invicta came early in the third period on yet another powerplay when Callum Fowler set Steve Osman cleat and he guided the puck past the netminder on 41.06 with the second assist claimed by Arran Strawson. Number six was then inevitable and almost immediate – 44.17 the moment when Callum Fowler fired at Bainborough who didn’t save properly, allowing the puck to creep through his legs for Jacob Ranson to tap over the line. To stem the flow the London Raiders finally grabbed a consolation goal on 44.38 through Mason Webster who hit a loose puck past Damien King for an unassisted effort. However Condren, who has a habit of scoring against his old side, did so once again on 48.13 to make it 7-1 after Bainborough had pushed out Adam McNicolls drive. Both team then opted to change netminders for the final ten minutes – Bainborough replaced for Michael Gray and Damien King making way for debutant Glen Rodbourne. Rodbourne was soon in the action as he was forced to stop Mason Webster but he would be beaten at 52.15 – Seb Downing converting past him, assisted by Webster for the last of the night.

So it was a comfortable 7-2 victory and the team’s sixth over the London Raiders in 2015/16. Whilst the points in the trophy will ultimately go unrewarded, Head Coach Kevin Parrish will still have been satisfied with the drive his team demonstrated to take the spoils. Invicta man of the match went to Steve Osman for his two goals and one assist, whist Mason Webster accepted the honours for the home side. Damien King ended the clash having faced 33 shots, giving him a 96.97% save percentage, Glen Rodbourne facing 7 efforts for 85.71%.

Written by Lee Allen.

Our Partners