Smith’s double sinks MK for 4 point weekend

The Invicta Dynamos made it four points from four on Sunday night as they brought an end to their double header road weekend with a hard fought 3-2 victory over the Milton Keynes Thunder courtesy of two goals from Andy Smith and another from Juraj Huska.

The Dynamos lined-up in Buckinghamshire minus Mark Lee, Grant Baxter, Peter Beerling and Frankie Harvey whilst Mark McGill started in the net for the second time in two days.

AndySmith_banner_150215Invicta dominated the opening period with Callum Fowler testing Thunder netminder Damien King just after the minute mark in what would be the first of a number of saves the former EPL shot stopper would have to make to keep the visitors frustrated. He would particularly impress when Milton Keynes were down to just three skaters – Paul Gore and Simon Howard serving early penalties – but the score remained 0-0 after the powerplay. Further chances then fell to Juraj Huska and Callum Fowler but, despite plenty of grit and determination, the game would remain goalless at the end of the first period.

The second frame started with Juraj Huska and Adam McNicoll both being denied by the formidable Damien King whilst, at the other end, Invicta netminder Mark McGill did well to prevent MK’s Tom Mboya claiming the breakthrough. The deadlock was then finally broken on 27 minutes – Callum Fowler cutting through the Thunder defence before squaring to Andy Smith for a typical finish from the Dynamos’ record breaking forward. The lead lasted just three minutes though – MK import Piotr Poziomkowski equalising after being picked out in a good position by teammate Jamie Line. Despite 22 shots being fired at King in the second period the Mos were then unable to retake the lead – Michal Oravec, Harrison Lillis and Juraj Huska just a few who were unable to add goals in the frame.

The opening five minutes of the final period started with both teams not giving much away, however when Andy Smith and Callum Fowler combined to leave Juraj Huska facing Damien King, it was the Dynamos forward who would win the duel to give the visitors a 2-1 lead in the 45th minute. Penalties on Anthony Leone (charging) and Nicky Lewis (hooking) then left the Mos defending a 3-on-5 but remarkably it was the shorthanded trio who went further ahead via the speed and skill of Andy Smith on 48:36. The Thunder did manage to make the extra men count just 20 seconds later though when Harrison Goode cut the deficit to 3-2 with plenty of time still on the clock. As time wound down Mark McGill would deny Sam Gore and Harrison Goode in the closing minutes but it was the Mos who held firm to take home another two league points.

So it was a double victory on their travels for the Dynamos and the perfect response to recent results back on home ice over previous weeks. Milton Keynes netminder Damien King ended-up facing 48 shots from the Mos and claimed a save percentage of 93.75%, whilst at the other end Mark McGill was called into action 29 times to give him a very respectable stop rate of 93.10%. Meanwhile Andy Smith took the man of the match award having played a part in all three of the Dynamos goals.

Written by Lee Allen.

Our Partners