5 point Huska helps Mos beyond the Stars

The Invicta Dynamos began their double header road weekend in fine style as two goals and three assists from Juraj Huska inspired his side to a 6-3 victory over the Oxford City Stars in the NIHL South Division 1 on Saturday night.

The Mos travelled to Oxpens road without Mark Lee, Grant Baxter and Frankie Harvey so Scot Mark McGill continued between the posts for Invicta.

JurajHuska_banner_140215Following the puck drop the game was only 22 seconds old when Welshman Nicky Lewis tried his luck from distance and then watched on as Oxford goalie James Skaife fumbled into his own net for 1-0 – Juraj Huska claiming the assist. Skaife would then make amends later – saving from Arran Strawson (3.40 mins) and Callum Fowler (6.20mins), whilst at the other end Mark McGill denied both Evan Mackintosh and Josh Florey. Goal two for Invicta would eventually come though at 11.01 – Callum Fowler prodding home after Skaife had been rounded, with Huska and Strawson getting the assists. Only 15 seconds later and a shorthanded Invicta were 3-0 to the good – Huska the man to score this time around and Elliott Dewey claiming a point in the build-up. Oxford would pull a goal back on 16 minutes though – Josh Florey beating the Invicta defence to race clear and pulling the puck back to Evan Mackintosh to rifle past the helpless Mark McGill. James Skaife then did well to keep that deficit to just 3-1 before the end of the first period by denying both Michal Oravec and Juraj Huska when they each broke clear with only the goalie to beat.

Similar to the first period, Invicta didn’t take long to score at the start of the second with Anthony Leone shooting past James Skaife on 21.03 having been set-up by the in form Juraj Huska. Skaife then denied both Fowler (22.21) and Oravec (25.00) as Invicta searched for goal number five – a goal that eventually came at 27.00 with Huska tapping home after Leone had successfully beaten several Oxford players to set-up his fellow teammate. James Pentecost would pull a goal back for the Stars on 30.19, and the hosts then hit the goal frame a minute later as they tried to up the momentum. They would then have the perfect opportunity to score another at 33.53 when both Peter Beerling and Nicky Lewis were sent to the penalty box, leaving the Mos to defend a 3-on-5 for a full two minutes. However Mark McGill was reduced to little action for the whole spell as Arran Strawson, Andy Smith and Callum Fowler not only defended well to keep Oxford out for the penalty, but also threatened up the other end of the ice, much to the dismay of the home support. It was probably ironic then that once Invicta returned to full strength, Smith would score at 37.10 with Callum Fowler assisting to make it 6-2. Evan Mackintosh didn’t take the goal well, and received a ten minute misconduct penalty for his protests.

In the third period the game came to life on 48.42 – Evan Mackintosh calling out at Anthony Leone but the Dynamos captain flooring the Oxford player with ease. With Mackintosh getting his second major penalty of the night, his part in the tie was at an end prematurely whilst Leone would receive a 10+2+2 penalty for his troubles. Oxford then scored the final goal of the night on 50:19 through Zsolt Mastaleriu but it was too little too late and it was the Dynamos who came away with the two points.

So it was a much needed return to winning ways for the Mos ahead of a trip to Milton Keynes for their second road fixture of the weekend on Sunday. Shot stopper Mark McGill ended the night having only faced 23 shots all game, but man of the match awards went to Invicta’s Anthony Leone and Oxford’s Josh Florey.

Written by Lee Allen.

Our Partners