Shortbenched Mos claim victory in Cardiff

A victory in Wales gave the Invicta Dynamos the perfect start to the weekend as Kevin Parrish’s side overcame the Cardiff NIHL Devils 6-2 in the Welsh capital on Saturday night.

Invicta travelled without Mark Lee, Andy Smith, Steve Nightingale, Grant Baxter and Arran Strawson with Mark McGill continuing in the Invicta goal.

MichalOravec_banner_070215The game was almost three minutes old when Cardiff took the lead through Josh Haslam with David Sadler and Jack Randall taking the assists. The Dynamos attempted to build-up their response though – Juraj Huska and Frankie Harvey both frustrated by Cardiff netminder James Whiting. Persistence was rewarded on 10:57 however when Michal Oravec levelled the scores having combined with Callum Fowler. Forwards Jamie Hayes and Brad Gutridge then dropped the gloves shortly after the equalising goal, with the Cardiff man getting the take down after Gutridge slipped with his shirt also caught-up in his helmet. With Invicta finishing the first period the stronger, Michal Oravec would set-up Callum Fowler to fire Invicta in front with 16:01 on the clock.

A tame start to the second period finally found a goal on 34:17 with Juraj Huska hitting a powerful shot from the left-hand side which crept past the surprised James Whiting to give Invicta a 3-1 lead. Not long afterwards, Cardiff’s Chris Hart was penalised with a 5 + match penalty for high sticks on Adam McNicoll – the Dynamos Scottish forward bleeding from the nose. Frustratingly for the Dynamos, the 5 minute penalty advantage was pretty much wiped out with Callum Fowler getting a 2+2 penalty shortly afterwards. Cardiff’s Jordan Powell was next in the penalty box on 38:15, receiving a two minute penalty for hooking, giving a short window of time for Invicta to take advantage of a 3-on-4 man advantage – which they did. With 38:25 on the clock, the Dynamos won a face-off which left Peter Beerling firing in his first goal since returning to the side. Cardiff pulled the score back to 4-2 but within a few minutes Invicta were soon leading 6-2 thanks to goals from Michal Oravec, assisted by Peter Beerling, and a shorthanded effort by Callum Fowler to end the second period on a high.

Cardiff started the third frame with a change of netminder as Ross Miller replaced James Whiting between the posts. At the other end Dynamos netminder Mark McGill was on good form gathering-up anything being fired at him. Callum Fowler was awarded a penalty shot after 47 minutes but he couldn’t convert it after carrying the puck too far wide of Ross Miller when trying to deke the netminder and shoot in the corner. Mark McGill saved well from Ben Brown and Kieran Latchford when called upon whilst the pace and skill of Callum Fowler and Michal Oravec was a threat on the break for the Mos, but amazingly the period ended with no goals scored.

So it was a much needed win for the Dynamos ahead of Sunday’s top of the table clash with the Chelmsford Chieftains. Man of the match awards went to Invicta’s Michal Oravec and whilst Jordan Powell took the spoils for Cardiff.

Written by Lee Allen.

Our Partners