Short Mos burnt by Flames in English Challenge Cup

A short benched Invicta Dynamos fell to a heavy 11-2 defeat at the hands of EPL side Guilford Flames ahead of another crucial league game on Sunday against the Solent Devils.

AnthonyLeone_banner_071214With Billy and Charlie Phillips serving bans and Steve Osman announced as leaving the club hours before the game, Dynamos Head Coach Kevin Parrish also had to contend with Grant Baxter, Mark Lee, Nicky Lewis, Callum Fowler and Andy Smith being absent. Arron Craft made his debut in the nets for Invicta.

Invicta Dynamos started the game in a lively fashion as Juraj Huska looked keen to bag his 100th Dynamos career goal within the first couple of minutes. Shortly afterwards fellow Slovakian import Michal Oravec shot into the side netting. Guilford started to pile-on the pressure though and their efforts were rewarded on 06:50 as Jozef Kohut scored unassisted, sliding the puck past Arron Craft despite the netminder’s best attempt to keep his effort at bay. Shortly afterwards it was 2-0 when the dominant Vladimir Kutny found Andrew Hemmings who in turn switched the play to Danny Meyers to fire home for another. Come 09:21 it would be 3-0 with Vladimir Kutny taking no prisoners to claim his first goal of the night. Juraj Huska tested the Flames goal once more but seconds later Andrew Hemmings pounced on a Kutny pass and added his side’s fourth. Michal Oravec missed a golden opportunity after fifteen minutes when clean through and that was to be punished on 17:47 when Andrew McKinney brought-up goal number five, assisted by Hemmings and Kutny.

The travelling Invicta fans finally had something to cheer on 20:18 when Captain Anthony Leone followed-up good work from Frankie Harvey to claim the first Invicta goal. The Invicta defence withstood more pressure for six minutes before Vladimir Kutny claimed his second goal of the night and the Flames sixth on 26:39. Josef Kohut (31:24), David Longstaff (32:48) and David Savage (35:21) all scored before the end of the second period as the Dynamos went into the break with the scoreboard reading 9-1 in favour of the hosts.

The Dynamos battled valiantly throughout the third period and despite Flames goals from Ben Campbell (46:52) and Matt Towe (53:30) the Mos were rewarded on 56:08. Import Michal Oravec was sent racing clear and although his shot was well saved the on-rushing Adam McNicoll was first on hand to claim the last goal of the game.

Frankie Harvey went on the secure the man of the match awards for an Invicta Dynamos team that will be looking to bounce back on Sunday in their quest for league glory. The Mos now have just one fixture remaining in the English Challenge Cup as they travel to the home of the Milton Keynes Lightning on Saturday 3rd January.

Written by Lee Allen.

Our Partners