Mos win in Milton Keynes to end losing run

thunder_080320The Invicta Dynamos grabbed a much needed win in Buckinghamshire against the Milton Keynes Thunder on Sunday to stop a run of recent defeats.

The Mos welcomed back Anthony Leone to the side and he grabbed the opening goal within 15 seconds to give his team the perfect start – assists falling to Jake Stedman and Juraj Huska. Invicta were throwing literally everything at the Thunder with netminder Graham Laverick kept very busy and he did well to parry a shot which that then rebounded off the post with Brandon Webster nearby hoping to poke home. Moments later Harrison Lillis palmed the puck down from the air and immediately fired at Laverick who saved again.

The return of import Tomas Banovský made a big difference for Invicta over the weekend and he looked for the coast to coast skate but Thunder’s last man Alex Whyte got a vital block to stop the Slovakian. Dale Buckland is yet to score for Invicta but he came close when he skated down the right flank and cut inside to release a backhand shot that Laverick pushed away. Huska was next to be denied and then Banovský dropped a shoulder and fired at goal with the puck flying off Laverick’s helmet.

Still on the front foot, Thirkettle carried the puck down the left wing and sent a backhand pass across the crease where Dell and Redmond were just unable to get a connection. A powerplay for Invicta came when Samuel Dean hooked Lillis on 11:06 but there was no goal from the visitors whilst, in the 15th minute, Thunder had their own unsuccessful powerplay when Leone was also penalised for hooking. A minute later Leone was back in the box – this time for roughing – but this didn’t prevent the shorthanded Mos from going 2-0 up on 18:57 – Farrell finding Morgan who hit a long pass from defence to Banovský on the halfway line who took a few paces forward, cut inside a marker and fired an unstoppable shot past Laverick.

The Mos had a great start to the 2nd period with Jake Stedman hitting a long pass to the unmarked Huska who closed down on Laverick and tucked into the net for a 3-0 lead on 20:47. The Banovský show then continued with the forward dribbling beyond opponents from his own half towards Laverick but he fired a shot over the bar. The Slovak then had another run at his challengers but this time he tried squaring to Farrell who was blocked off.

A series of penalties followed with Invicta briefly on a 5- on- 3 powerplay until Stedman was disciplined for tripping and also sent to the penalty box. When it was a 4-on-4 Invicta scored again –Brandon Webster was assisted by Lillis before he then dispatched past Laverick with 31:29 on the clock. Unfortunately for the Mos, any hope of a shutout were crushed 18 seconds later when Alex Whyte released Harrison Goode to tuck a shot past Grandy-Smith for 4-1.

Tempers started to heat-up when Dean knocked Stedman flying from behind the play – which led to Buckland inviting Dean to drop the gloves which he declined. Another powerplay fell the way of the Mos on 32:44 with Gadeke guilty of hooking and this led to another Invicta goal – Webster and Banovský playing the puck back to Lillis on the blue line who fired a rocket of a shot into the net for 5-1. The Thunder weren’t going to lay down though and a great chance fell their way when Gadeke laid the puck on a plate for Harrington-Hughes but Grandy-Smith saved well at the far post.

In the final frame a Thunder powerplay came on 44:16 when Redmond received a 2+10 minute penalty for a check from behind but the Mos held firm whilst shorthanded. And they had to do it again on 46:20 when Ryan Morgan was punished for holding.

A consolation goal for the Thunder then came late in the game at 58:32 when Alex Whyte beat Grandy-Smith with assists falling to Goode and Baeumlin. Dale Buckland received a 10 minute incitement penalty on the goal but it did nothing to prevent the Mos grabbing the two league points they so deserved.

Written by Lee Allen.

Our Partners