Mos downed by Devils in Gillingham

solent_070320The Invicta Dynamos fell to a narrow 5-3 defeat against the title challenging Solent Devils in Gillingham on Saturday despite managing to out shoot their opponents across the sixty minutes.

Dynamos were missing Player-coach Leone, captain Ryan Giles, youngster Gregor McAllen and veteran Mark Williams for the clash. Solent were without Alexander Trendall, Daniel Shier, Harry Cloutman, Mason Wild, Callum Farrell and Matthew Colclough. Zachary Grandy-Smith started in net for the Dynamos while Christian Cole took to the ice for the Devils.

First period underway and Dynamos forward Tomas Banovsky was the first to challenge Cole with a shot that followed a mazy skate but the netminder was up to the task. For the Devils, Ralfs Circenis sped down the right before finding Facey on the left who drove at net but Grandy-Smith managed to divert the puck wide. Soon after Facey threatened to escape on another breakaway but was hit mid-ice by Banovsky halting his forward charge.

First powerplay for Solent then came as Banovsky sat a two-minute penalty for hooking but the Dynamos managed to kill the penalty. The hosts then had their own spell with the man advantage as Mark Pitts sat two-minutes for slashing but were also unable to make the most of the opportunity.

Late on Solent had several chances on Grandy-Smith the best of which fell to Circenis with a close call but the Mos managed to clear the puck. Down the other end Ryan Morgan was soon on the attack and managed to get a shot on Cole, but it was saved. End of the first period and the game remained 0-0.

Second period underway and Banovsky had another attempt at a goal on Cole which was denied. Solent then secured a powerplay opportunity as Elliot Farrell sat two-minutes for stick holding and this allowed the deadlock to finally be broken – Circenis shot high over Grandy-Smith at 25:22 to make it 1-0.

Dynamos were fired up and Henry Aiken and Tom Davis both crashed into Pitts who got pinned to the boards. Brandon Webster then received a 10-minute incitement misconduct while the play had stopped. When play resumed 5-on-5 Solent got their second of the night as former Dynamos forward Steve Osman skated from centre ice down to Grandy-Smith with no competition from the defencemen and slotted home for 2-0 at 31:00.

In response the Dynamos were on the breakaway as Elliot Farrell skated between the defence but was hooked as he looked set to pull the trigger resulting in a penalty shot. Tomas Banovsky stepped up and he made it look easy to cut the deficit to 2-1 35:39.

In the final frame Solent’s forward Circenis started the period off with his second goal of the night as he beat off an icing call and converted beyond Grandy-Smith for 3-1 at 40:30.

Soon after Dynamos defenceman Arran Strawson received a two-minute penalty for holding but as he questioned the call whilst skating to the box the referee took exception and gave him two 10-minute misconduct penalties. Strawson retaliated with a punch at the plexi before returning to the changing room.

Despite the loss, the Dynamos hit back and threatened a comeback as Juraj Huska fired under the armpit of Cole from wide left at 48:50. Celebrations were immediately cut short though as they Devils managed an instant reply – Facey bundling in from the edge of the crease at 49:26 after a Circenis shot had deflected and looped up over netminder Grandy-Smith. Facey would score his second of the game 52:53 – this time being found all alone in front and dispatching into the bottom left of the net with one touch for a comfortable 5-2 lead.

The Mos did cut the deficit to two late on as Huska fired through Cole from point blank left at 56:36 but they were unable to pose the Devils any further trouble and slipped to a 5-3 home defeat.

Written by Hannah Lawrence

Our Partners