Mos suffer cup final 1st leg defeat

streatham_150220Invicta Dynamos suffered a 7-3 defeat to Streatham IHC in the first leg of the NIHL South cup final in Gillingham on Saturday night.

Dynamos were missing Gregor McAllen, Kieron Jones and Mark Williams while Streatham iced 18 players, but new forward Luke Brittle missed out. Zachary Grandy-Smith started in net for the Mos and former Dynamo Damien King was between the pipes for Streatham.

First period begun and the Dynamos were soon on the penalty kill as Harrison Lillis received a two-minute penalty for elbowing. Streatham’s Ryan Watt attempted to score the first of the game with an early effort but his shot bounced wide. Adam Wood then collected the puck and attempted a slapshot to the top corner but the puck deflected over the plexiglass and into the crowd.

Dynamos were back to full strength but their time on a level footing was shortlived as Tomas Banovsky sat a two-minute hooking penalty. On the powerplay Watt’s shot produced a rebound which was picked up by winger Scott Bailey and he managed to control the puck and put it past Grandy-Smith for 1-0 at 05:53.

Soon after the goal Streatham’s netminder King received a two-minute tripping penalty for wiping out Banovsky and on the powerplay Arran Strawson jumped on the loose puck to fire from the slot, but King managed to send it wide.

With the penalty killed, goal two for Streatham came as Watt managed to send a shot high over Grandy-Smith 12:39 to double his team’s lead. Another powerplay followed for the Dynamos as Andrew Cook sat a two-minute penalty for interference but being shorthanded did not stop Adam Carr from skating down centre ice and firing beyond Grandy-Smith for 3-0 at 14:03.

Carr secured himself another goal before the period was done – Streatham’s player-coach dispatching over the line from the slot for a commanding 4-0 lead at 17:18. Dynamos tried to cut into that advantage late on as Juraj Huska tested King from distance but the netminder made the save. End of first and Streatham led 4-0.

Dynamos pulled Grandy-Smith for youngster Owen Rider ahead of the second period. Second period begun and Banovsky managed to slam a slapshot from the back of the left circle beyond King at 24:54 to put the Dynamos on the board and cut the deficit to 4-1.

Straight after the strike Watt attempted to score to complete his hat-trick but Rider robbed him when he was clean through. Moments later Brandon Miles was trying to get Dynamos defenceman Henry Aiken to fight following a scramble in the crease but the Dynamo shrugged off the Streatham man’s advances.

Midway through the frame Mos conceded another as they were unable to clear the puck from their own zone allowing Danny Ingoldsby to take advantage and sweep in low beyond Rider for 5-1 at 29:38. To their credit the home side answered immediately – 30:20 the moment when Strawson found himself close left and managed to shoot the puck off the underside of the crossbar and over the line for 5-2. However just 14 seconds later the visitors had restored their four goal cushion – Ben Paynter skating down the ice and firing past Rider at 30:34.

Brandon Miles could have given the away side a bigger lead as he escaped on the breakaway but Rider denied him twice. Soon after, and behind the play, Harrison Lillis and Michael Farn exchanged shoves before Scott Bailey decided he’d step in for his teammate. The pair dropped the gloved but as Lillis removed his helmet Bailey took advantage by leaving his on and rushing his opponent resulting in a brief wrestle which Lillis won with the takedown. While penalties were being sorted out, Miles decided to leave the Streatham bench and gesture to the whole Dynamos team but the officials ignored his remarks. Lillis received 2 minutes for instigating and a further 2+2 for fighting. Bailey received a 2+2 for fighting. End of the second period and the Dynamos trailed 6-2.

The home side began the third period by killing off what remained of the Lillis penalty before going straight on the powerplay as Jordan Gregory sat two-minutes for holding. The Mos tried to claw back a goal as Ryan Giles attempted a slapshot from the blue line, but it was deflected into the corner. Another powerplay followed as Farn received two-minutes for slashing and this time it was Dell who tired his luck with a slapshot but it hit King square in the chest and was comfortably saved.

Streatham’s Watt then secured his hat trick almost halfway through the frame as he poked a loose puck past Rider at 48:19 to make it 7-2. Watt celebrated by removing his helmet and gesturing to the away fans and then received a 10-minute misconduct penalty.

Rupert Quiney soon joined his teammate in the penalty box as he received a two-minute penalty for interference. On the powerplay the Dynamos mustered a reply – Huska fired to the crease where Tom Davis was waiting and he flicked the puck off the crossbar and into the net at 52:40 to return the deficit to four once more.

Streatham thought they had scored another with Miles’ shot from the boards slipping beyond Owen Rider but the officials waited a while before waving off the goal and giving the Dynamos a penalty shot for an incident a minute earlier. Dell took the penalty shot but made a mistake by going low on King who saved with ease.

Game back underway and Wood received a two-minute penalty for elbowing. Streatham called for a timeout at 57:03 to restore their discipline and they saw out the remainder of the tie to establish a 1st leg cup final 7-3 lead. Dynamos battled hard but were never able to catch up with the visitors who got a little slack with their discipline and therefore penalties later in the third.

Man of the match for Streatham, Adam Carr. Dynamos netminder Owen Rider received man of the match for the Dynamos.

Invicta Points: T. Davis 1+1, A. Strawson 1+1, J. Huska 0+2, T. Banovsky 1+0

Streatham Points: A. Carr 2+1, S. Bailey 1+1, R. Quiney 0+2, R. Watt 3+1, M. Farn 0+2, D. Ingoldsby 1+0, C. Smith 0+1

Invicta: Z. Grandy-Smith – 83.33% (24 shots / 4 goals), O. Rider – 92.31% (39 shots / 3 goals)
Streatham: D. King – 90.63% (32 shots / 3 goals)

Invicta: 12
Streatham: 30

Man of the Match:
Invicta: Owen Rider
Streatham: Adam Carr

Written by Hannah Lawrence.

Our Partners