Mos crush shortbenched Cardiff

cardiff_090220Invicta Dynamos sealed a 19-3 victory over a depleted Cardiff Fire who lost their goalie early in the contest on Sunday night. Netminder Ben Scanlan retired injured after the first period and Cardiff were forced to put player Cedric Racine between the posts for the rest of the match which resulted in a big score line.

Dynamos were missing Jake Stedman, Kieron Jones, Gregor McAllan and Mark Williams for this tie. Cardiff Fire were short benched with only 11 players and one netminder. Dynamos Owen Rider was between the pipes while an injured Ben Scanlan was in net for Cardiff.

First period was under way and the Dynamos opened the game with a goal – Arran Strawson slammed a rebound from Aiken into the back of the net for goal one scored after just 46 seconds. Dynamos were soon on the powerplay as Josh Haslam received a two-minute tripping penalty and they made the most of it – Juraj Huska sending a slapshot through traffic and Antony Leone beating Scanlan with a quick follow-up for 2-0 at 03:37. The Mos were firmly in control and another strike followed at 06:20 – Strawson passing to the crease where Tom Davis poked beyond the netminder.

Scanlan did his best to put up some resistance and denied Brandon Wesbter from close range but a fourth soon followed – Tomas Banovsky skating coast to coast and firing beyond the netminder at 11:15. Another quick goal from Davis followed as he waited in the slot for the pass from Strawson and the skater then found the back of the net again for 5-0.

Dynamos would go on to grab their sixth and seventh goal in the space of 22 seconds – Owen Dell scored from point blank range with a rebound at 16:26 before Huska fired home from at 16:48 to give the Dynamos a 7-0 lead. Moments later Cardiff’s Kristians Kasjanovs deliberately pushed the Fire net out of frustration and the forward received a two-minute delay of game penalty. End of the first period and the Dynamos led 7-0.

The second period was delayed due to Cardiff forward Cedric Racine taking the place of Scanlan in net but the Fire were met with applause from the home crowd as they returned to the ice. Racine was quickly called into action in his new role as Davis sent a snapshot goalward from the high slot but Racine managed to send it wide.

The Dynamos largely eased off with shots as Cardiff battled through but still tallied four times to take their tally to eleven by the end of the frame. Juraj Huska claimed the first of these from close left at 31:41, Tom Davis added another to complete his hat-trick at 32:37, Elliot Farrell redirected an Owen Dell pass to secure double figures at 33:33 and Huska rounded off the home side’s scoring in the frame with a shot on the spin from close left at 35:17 – the Slovak completing a hat-trick of his own.

Cardiff then managed to get one back as Kasjanovs slammed a low slapshot beyond Rider from the right wing at 39:10 and the home crowd joined in applauding the Fire’s first of the game. End of the second period and the Dynamos led 11-1.

When the third period got underway Strawson scored his second of the night inside 14 seconds as he fired in off both posts at 40:14 to make it 12-1. Another round of goals followed as the Dynamos netted five in the space of six minutes. Tomas Banovsky pinged the puck over the line off the upright with a one-timer at 42.26, Anthony Leone dispatched low into the far corner from the right circle at 44.31, Owen Dell steered around the dive of Racine and tallied at 46.20, Brandon Webster fired a low shot through traffic from the right on the blue line at 47.17 and Leone completed his hat-trick at 48.13 as he picked out the bottom right corner from left of the target for 17-1.

After the onslaught Cardiff got their first powerplay of the game as Ryan Morgan sat a two-minute hooking penalty and they took advantage – Stevens firing through traffic and beating Owen Rider at 49.56 resulting in genuine cheers from the whole crowd as the Fire notched their second at 49:56. The visitors then managed another at 51:08 – Kasjanovs claiming his second of the night after sending the puck home from the left circle to make it 17-3.

The Dynamos still had time for a few more and Farrell added his second goal of the night with a close range finish at 52:58. The hosts then took another shot from distance soon after but this time it struck their own defenceman Joe Stephenson who dropped to the ice clutching his face. He finally stood up and made his way back to the bench with a bloodied lip. When play restarted Brandon Webster got his second of the night at 58:14 to finish the scoring and end the game at 19-3.

So it was two points for the home side in a high scoring game. The Cardiff Fire battled till the end and received a standing ovation from the whole crowd for making the journey, playing short benched and playing two out of three of the periods with a player in net.

Man of the match for Cardiff was Cedric Racine after he put on the pads and went in goal for his team. Dynamos man of the match went to Tom Davis.

Invicta Points: B. Webster 2+0, H. Aiken 0+2, L. Thirkettle 0+1, T. Davis 3+3, O. Dell 2+3, A. Leone 3+3, J. Stephenson 0+1, E. Farrell 2+1, D. Buckland 0+2, A.Strawson 2+5, R. Morgan 0+1, H. Lillis 0+1, J. Huska 3+3, R. Giles 0+1, T. Banovsky 2+3

Cardiff Points: J. Morris 0+1, K. Kasjanovs 2+0, L. Stevens 1+0, R. Cernych 0+1, J. Haslam 0+1

Invicta: O. Rider – 88.00% (25 shots / 3 goals)
Cardiff: B. Scanlan – 72.00% (25 shots / 7 goals), C. Racine – 74.47% (47 shots / 12 goals)

Invicta: 2
Cardiff: 8

Man of the Match:
Invicta: Tom Davis
Cardiff: Cedric Racine

Written by Hannah Lawrence.

Our Partners