Disappointing Dynamos downed by the Devils

solent_031119A frustrating performance by the Invicta Dynamos resulted in them suffering at 3-1 defeat to the Solent Devils at the weekend. The Mos handed a debut to defenceman Mark Williams but were without Harrison Lillis, Gregor McAllan and Kieron Jones. Zach Grandy-Smith was again on netminder duty.

Within the first minute Juraj Huska and Tom Davis tested netminder Cole in the Solent’ net. The first penalties then arrived on 01.57 when Ralf Circenis snapped at Ryan Morgan from behind the play and received 2 minutes for cross checking and Morgan 2 minutes for his reaction (roughing) which resulted in a 4-on-4 on the ice.

Alex Trendall was a constant threat to the Dynamos and he showed this when beautifully dancing around Aiken to go clear on the left but Grandy-Smith reacted well to turn his effort wide. The first goal of the night fell to the visitors on 10.23 – Elliott Lewis dispatching past Grandy-Smith at the far post with assists falling to Andrew Campbell and Alex Trendall.

The Mos conceded a few frustrating penalties as the first period wound down. The first came on 12.07 when Anthony Leone acquired 2 minutes for charging – and then not long after returning to full strength the Mos were down on numbers again for 2 minutes on 15.29 when Brandon Webster threw his opponent to the ground in front of the Solent bench. The last penalty of the period came the way of Ryan Giles on 17.28 when he threw a slash right in front of the officials, however the hosts saw out the period to end it 1-0 down.

The 2nd period started with Webster redirecting the puck to the back post where Dell should have scored but somehow a scrambling Cole denied him. At the opposite end Mark Pitts split the defence and got in behind the rear guard but Grandy-Smith did well to divert the backhand shot wide. A great chance fell to the Mos when Dell fed Sedivy who was clear in the middle but the Slovak struggled to control the puck and Cole saved his shot. The Mos were then let-off when the Devils created a breakaway – Circenis leaving the opposing blue liners for dead and only the pads of Grandy-Smith preventing a two goal deficit.

The home fans were not happy on 28.37 when Arran Strawson was floored by a blatant trip which went unpunished however the Mos did get a powerplay on 29.07 when Pitts received 2 minutes for cross checking. During the powerplay there was some shoving after the whistle involving the full lines from both teams with Circenis and Buckland at the heart of it but order was soon restored. The Devils then went 2-0 up on 36.09 when Alex Murray coasted past a few players down the right and slotted through the pads Grandy-Smith.

The Mos needed to up their game in the 3rd period and started brighter when Huska tried to find the far corner from the bottom of the right circle but the shot came off the elbow of Cole and clear. Elliot Farrell then sent a pass to Stedman in the left circle who shot through the defence but missed the target. Soon after Tom Davis was found in the slot and he fired a low shot but a full stretch Cole kept the attempt out.

The Mos had a lucky break on 48.51 when the Devils countered and put the puck in the net but the goal had come loose from its moorings before the shot was taken and the effort was washed out. The hosts then attacked through Dell who tricked his way through the middle beating two players but his effort went just side of the far post. The game was then pretty much beyond the reach of the Mos on 52.27 when the away side made it 3-0 – Circenis finding Facey who lashed the puck beyond Grandy-Smith for the three goal cushion.

The Mos finally got on the scoreboard on 56.51 – Owen Dell put clean through by Brandon Webster on the breakaway and he ended Cole’s hopes of a shutout with a shot that tickled the roof of the net with Sedivy claiming the 2nd assist.

The Mos should have had a second goal soon afterwards when Huska tricked his way around Cole and then sent a backhand towards the net that somehow stayed out. Elliot Farrell then sped clear down the right seconds later towards net but Cole made a fantastic stop whilst on his back. Any chance of a remarkable comeback were over on 59.07 when Solent were steaming towards an empty net so Tom Davis ended up slashing an opponent to put the Mos on a penalty kill.

Invicta Points: O. Dell 1+0, B. Webster 0+1, F. Sedivy 0+1

Solent Points: A. Trendall 0+1, E. Lewis 1+0, A. Campbell 0+1, R. Facey 1+0, R. Cirencis 0+1, A. Murray 1+1

Invicta: Z. Grandy-Smith (Dynamos) – 92.11% (38 shots / 3 goals)
Solent: C. Cole (Solent) – 97.67% (43 shots / 1 goal)

Penalty Minutes:
Invicta: 10
Solent: 4

Man of the Match:
Invicta: Owen Dell
Solent: Alexander Trendall

Written by Lee Allen.

Our Partners