Mos beaten by Basingstoke in Hampshire

basingstoke_050119The Invicta Dynamos started 2019 with a 7-2 defeat at the hands of Basingstoke Bison as goals from Harrison Lillis and Arran Strawson were not enough to prevent a road loss in Hampshire.

The Mos were unable to ice new import Oskars Ancitis who was still waiting for international clearance whilst Joe Allen, Ryan Giles and Callum Best were also missing leaving Kevin Parrish’s side with just 12 skaters against Bison’s 18. Referee for the evening was Blaine Evans.

Basingstoke applied early pressure with Sampford shooting wide and then Morris having to save with his pads to deny Cowley. Morris then went on to deny King before the Mos were on a powerplay on 04:59 after Tommy Ralph was penalised for hooking. The away side failed to make the extra man advantage count and the hosts soon returned to full strength having rarely been troubled on the penalty kill.

Bison then opened the scoring on 07:23 – Michal Klejna shooting under the arm of Morris for 1-0. A face-off violation gave the Mos another powerplay in the 10th minute and this time the they took full advantage – Brandon Miles winning the puck and finding Strawson in space who blasted beyond Dan Weller-Evans for 1-1 on 11:15. Bison applied further pressure on the Dynamos’ net for the remainder of the period but were denied by a combination of Morris and good defending.

The 2nd period started with Oscar Evans having two attempts on Morris – both being successfully blocked by the netminder. The Mos then took the lead – Harrison Lillis shooting from distance and catching Weller-Evans flat footed with the to fire the Dynamos 2-1 up on 23:18.

Controversy and a big talking point came on 25:38 – Morris looked to have shot covered but Cowley manged to poke the puck over the line for 2-2. Despite plenty of protests from the Dynamos for an infringement on Morris by Cowley, referee Blaine Evans stood firm and awarded the strike.

On 28:55 the Bison took a 3-2 lead with Jay King hitting a first time shot past Morris. Two minutes later Cowley then made it 4-2 – again the Dynamos protested the goal which lead to Morris getting a 10 minute penalty for misconduct (served by Jake Stedman) and Anthony Leone was hit with a match penalty for an obscene gesture which put the Bison on a 5 minute powerplay. The away side managed to defend the powerplay and play out the remainder of the period without conceding.

The final period had Bison go 5-2 up on 42:19 through Paul Petts who struck beyond Morris after feeding from a Ralph assist. Barely 30 seconds later it was 6-2 when Adam Jones hit a shot at Morris that Ashley Tait then tipped beyond the netminder on 42:55. Matt Foord did fire a rare Dynamos shot on the Bison goal which was knocked wide by Weller-Evans as the Mos tried to close the gap but the game was stretching further away from any chance of rescuing something from it.

With 50:16 on the clock, tempers boiled a little which resulted in Lewis English serving a 2 minute penalty for a late hit. The Mos manged to kill the penalty but did concede once more when they returned to full strength with Petts making it 7-2 on 57:48.

So a defeat on the road for the Mos who only 9 shots on target at Weller-Evans and also now lose the services of Anthony Leone trough suspension.

Referee: Evans

Bison: A. Jones 0+1, C. Cooke 0+1, E. Dewey 0+1, T. Ralph 0+1, G. Norcliffe 0+3, R. Cowley 2+2, P. Petts 2+0, A. Tait 0+2, M. Klejna 1+0, A. Sampford 0+1, O. Evans 0+1, J. King 1+0
Dynamos: M. Foord 0+1, B. Miles 0+1, A. Strawson 1+0, L. Colvin 0+1, H. Lillis 1+0

D. Weller-Evans save percentage – 77.78% (9 shots/2 goals)
C. Morris save percentage – 86.27% (51 shots/7 goals)

Bison – 10
Dynamos – 43

Man of the match:
Bison – R. Cowley
Dynamos – M. Foord

Written by Lee Allen.

Our Partners