Dell double not enough to beat the Bison

basingstoke_221218Owen Dell scored his first ever goals for the Invicta Dynamos on the road on Saturday night to push the Basingstoke Bison to the end but the hosts eventually battled to a 5-3 home victory curtesy of a third period rally.

With Ryan Giles and Joe Allen both unavailable the Dynamos took to the ice with just 13 skaters and started the better of the two teams. Ondrej Zosiak gave the Bison a warning when he shot just wide of the mark inside the first minute of the game. Not long afterwards Louis Colvin broke clear and looked certain to score until Chris Cooke flung himself to the ground to make a superb diving interception. The early pressure soon paid off for the Dynamos – Zosiak seeing a shot padded away by netminder Weller-Evans but the rebound fell to Jake Stedman who quickly switched possession to Owen Dell to fire into the back of the net on 02:37 for 1-0 to the Kent side.

Dell was again in the thick on 04:14 when Bison import Michal Klejna checked him to the head – putting the Mos on a powerplay and Klejna in the box with a 2+10 penalty. The hosts soon killed the two minute powerplay without conceding and then started to apply pressure on the Dynamos with Oscar Evans calling Conor Morris into action with a good save on 07:49. They would draw level on 08:40 – Tommy Ralph feeding George Norcliffe to dispatch beyond Morris.

Mos’ netminder Morris was then kept busy, denying Ralph on 09:38 and then pulling out a double save to deny Norcliffe after 10 minutes of play. Callum Best found himself in a great position to score on 14:30 but elected to pass instead and an opportunity for the Mos to go ahead once more soon disappeared. The Bison then took the lead on 16:42 – Morris making a couple of saves before Paul Petts finally beat him for 2-1.

The second period had Russell Cowley and George Norcliffe both waste chances for the Bison with the Dynamos taking a while to get going but when they did they soon drew level – Anthony Leone and Ondrej Zosiak teaming-up to assist for Owen Dell to strike his second goal of the evening to put the score at 2-2 on 28:42. Then, on 30:12, Lewis English played a delightful pass to Brendon Miles who skated down towards the Bison goal and clinically beat Weller-Evans for 3-2 to the visitors.

The Bison immediately called a timeout to try and regroup and the Mos had Morris to thank after the stoppage as he produced saves from Norcliffe and Sampford. At the opposite end of the ice pad Weller-Evans twice denied Miles on separate occasions to prevent the Dnamos from stretching their lead.

The visitors gave away their first penalty of the game on 41:50 when Jake Stedman was called for slashing and it took only 10 seconds of the resulting powerplay for the Bison to level the scoreline to 3-3 with Klejna picking-up a pass from Jones and striking past Morris. Poor marking then let Kjena in for his second goal on 45:53 putting the Bison ahead once more at 4-3.

The Dynamos legs were starting to tire and when Ryan Morgan was adjudged to have hooked an opponent on 47:46 the Kent side were again defending another powerplay. Although they successfully killed the two minutes they conceded just 10 seconds later on 49:50 with Richard Bordowski making it 5-3 to the hosts. Weller-Evans went on to deny both Arran Strawson and Lewis English but despite a good effort the Dynamos ended-up defeated.

Referee: Brooks

Bison: A. Jones 0+1, R. Bordowski 1+0, T. Ralph 0+1, G. Norcliffe 1+0, P. Petts 1+0, A. Tait 0+2, M. Kjena 2+0, A. Sampford 0+1, O. Evans 0+2
Dynamos: L. English 0+1, O. Zosiak 0+1, J. Stedman 0+1, B. Miles 1+0, O. Dell 2+0, A. Leone 0+1

D. Weller-Evans save percentage – 81.25% (16 shots/3 goals)
C. Morris save percentage – 89.58% (48 shots/5 goals)

Bison – 12
Dynamos – 6

Man of the match:
Bison – M. Kjena
Dynamos – O. Dell

Written by Lee Allen.

Our Partners