Mos slip to Streatham in NIHL Cup

result15_streatham_041117It was another disappointing cup defeat for the Invicta Dynamos in what was a miserable night in Streatham as the Mos fell 5-1 at the hands of the Redhawks in the capital to kill off any NIHL Cup hopes.

Invicta gave a debut to new signing Tom Long but had to ice without the services of Ashley Jackson or Justin Robinson. Hosts Streatham were at full strength.

The first period was poor for the traveling Mos – a Fowler shot into the side netting in the early minutes after good work from Rehak was just about their highlight from the opening 20 minutes. Streatham took the lead on 02.59 – Alex Sampford roofing into the top left corner of John Dibbles’ net with Streatham on a powerplay after Tom Long had hauled down a Streatham forward on the break seconds earlier.

Roll forward a few minutes and it was 2-0 with 06.30 on the clock – Michael Farn and Ryan Watt playing a hand in the goal which Adam Carr claimed after beating Dibble at the second attempt. Further woe followed on 09.34 – Joe Allen skating from his own half down the right flank and then firing beyond Dibble – assists going to Sampford and James Warman.

The Mos didn’t really trouble home netminder Matt Colclough much during the frame, even when on a powerplay after Dan Rose cross-checked Mason Webster from behind right in front of referee Matthews.

Invicta started better in the 2nd period with Scott Bailey teeing-up Fowler for a backhanded shot at Colclough and moments later Bailey himself had a shot from the blue line saved. However, that was about as good as it got with Brandon Webster serving a slashing penalty which immediately put the Mos on the backfoot again. 4-0 came on 23.48 – Michael Farn shooting through bodies and past Dibble – Jamie Hayes assisting. Picking the puck out of the net was the last bit of action for Dibble with Kevin Parrish opting to switch netminders and bring Damien King into the action. Dibble had faced 16 shots leaving him with a 75% save percentage.

The misery got worse for the Mos on 25.21 – Callum Fowler doing the walk of shame for butt-ending and getting punished with a game plus 5 minute penalty. Damien King was now in the thick of the action and bringing out save after save, including an impressive one from close range when Ryan Watt looked certain to score from right in front. Further saves to deny Wood, Farn and Miles soon made King a good bet for the Dynamos man of the match with the netminder standing tall time after time.

The gloves were dropped on 34.42 – hardmen Mason Webster and Brandon Miles opting to go toe-to-toe. Webster, who had also removed his helmet, threw some heavy punches into Miles who still had his helmet on to shield the blows. With both players cushioned against the plexiglass, the officials took the opportunity to break-up the fight and players sat in the penalty boxes for 2+2 minutes for fighting. The Mos managed to close out the period without going further behind but had to kill another penalty with Harrison Lillis sitting for 4 minutes after roughing and cross-checking.

There was a 10 minute delay until the 3rd period got underway following ice damage that needed maintenance in one of the goalmouths. When play finally started Streatham made the most of their powerplay by scoring through Alex Sampford who finally beat King on 41.21 – assisted by Jordan Gregory and Aidan Doughty. A minute later a mass brawl was sparked on the ice which was instigated by Ben Paynter. Harrison Lillis and Paynter started trading blows and once Lillis hit the deck a raft of players also joined in. It took several minutes for the officials to dish out the consequences with both Paynter chucked out of the game and a number of players sitting in each penalty box for minor charges. The Paynter penalty gave the Mos a man advantage for 5 minutes and, two minutes into that powerplay, Streatham were reduced to only 3 skaters when Brandon Miles took a hooking penalty. The Mos dominated the two man advantage spell and they finally got on the scoreboard on 46.11 when Ryan Morgan pulled the puck back to Tommy Ralph to slapshot at goal – only for Mason Webster to tip beyond Colclough and into the net. The last ten minutes of the game soon sailed by with little incident to finish at 5-1.

Man of the match for the Dynamos went to Mason Webster who has now scored four goals in as many games, whereas Joe Allen took the honours for the home side. Home netminder Matt Colclough faced only 26 shots, giving him a save percentage of 96.15% whilst Damien King confronted 21 shots for a save percentage of 95.24% when on the ice for the last 36 minutes.

Written by Lee Allen.

Our Partners