Mos suffer narrow loss to Streatham

BaileyWootton_110217The Dynamos narrowly lost out in the 2nd versus 3rd league clash in London on Saturday night as rivals Streatham closed the gap to three following a tight 4-3 win in the NIHL South Division 1.

The Dynamos travelled to Streatham boosted by the return of defenceman Elliott Dewey but had to make-do without the services of Damien King, Adam McNicoll, both Wootton twins and Ashley Jackson then, to make matters worse, Arran Strawson was a late withdrawal before the start with a back injury.

The opening frame was a lively affair – Ryan Webb going close within a minute for the home side whilst at the other end Adam Rehak fired over Matt Colclough’s goal in the 3rd minute. Streatham didn’t take too long to open the scoring – Callum Best on hand in the 4th minute to easily stroke past the exposed John Dibble after the Mos were caught sleeping at the back – assists going to George Norcliffe and Ryan Webb. It only took two minutes for the Dynamos to draw level though – the in-form Bailey Wootton continuing this goal streak to make it 1-1 on 06.42 after being found by Ondrej Zosiak. Ten seconds later Streatham’s dangerman Callum Best was sent into the penalty box for a 2 minute charging penalty but only a Tommy Ralph shot from distance had home netminder Matt Colclough in any real trouble. Joe Johnston would then be denied by the outstretched Dibble and seconds later Streatham rattled the goal frame as they started to pile-on more pressure – which was finally rewarded in the 13th minute. With the Dynamos sitting a team penalty for misconduct it didn’t take long for Streatham to edge 2-1 in front courtesy of a goal from ex-Dynamo Chris Cooke – assisted by Adam Wood on 13.16. Further chances for Dynamos fell to Scott Bailey and Callum Fowler but the Mos finally got the scores level again on 16.16 – Bailey Wootton initially did well to carry the puck forward and almost assisted for Steve Osman to score but, when the puck fell to Zosiak, he and Ralph turned providers for a Osman to get another chance and prod the puck beyond Colclough for the equaliser.

The second period only had 19 shots in total with both sides cancelling each other out well. Alex Sampford did have a great chance for the home side just before the half hour mark but John Dibble was alert and managed to rush out from his net to block well with his body. In the middle of the ice Mason Webster exchanged a few words with first Callum Best and then Steven Fisher as the tense atmosphere went up a crank or two. Dibble went on to deny both Scarbrough and Norcliffe to keep the period scoreless and the overall game tied at 2-2.

The Dynamos almost snatched a lead early in the third period – a Callum Fowler pullback was just too short for Mason Webster who was ready to pounce ahead of his marker. It didn’t take long for Streatham to switch play up the other end and they hit the goal frame on 43 minutes just before they took the lead yet again. An Ondrei Zosiak interference penalty left the Mos defending a powerplay and were undone by a Norcliffe strike on 44.55 to put the scores on the doors at 3-2 – ex-Dynamo Ryan Giles assisting. Callum Fowler tried to get things level soon after but Colclough saved and moments later Alex Sampford found the back of Dibble’s net to give the hosts a two goal cushion to make it 4-2 on 47.04 – Scarbrough and Wood playing key roles in the build-up. Kevin Parrish called a timeout soon after to refocus his troops and it didn’t take too long for the Mos to grab a goal back – passes between Fowler and Webster in the 51st minute made their way to Adam Rehak who beat two men before committing Colclough and stroking the puck home for 4-3. Colclough then denied Fowler from short range moments later and attempts by Wootton and Dewey were also unsuccessful with the Dynamos unable to claw back another goal to end the game with no points to take back to Medway.

Nicky Lewis picked-up the man of the match awards for the Dynamos having had to play in defence to cover for the injured Arran Strawson. Ryan Giles took the honours for the home side, having grabbed an assist for the third Streatham goal.

Written by Lee Allen.

Our Partners