Colclough frustrates Mos at the High Road

streatham_121116A man of the match performance from Streatham netminder Matt Colclough saw the Invicta Dynamos frustrated on the road in South London as they lost 3-1 at the High Road in the NIHL South Division 1.

With Damien King, James Richardson, Taylor Wootton, Nicky Lewis and Adam McNicoll unable to travel the Mos were slightly lighter on numbers than their hosts who have made a flurry of changes following the demise of the Wightlink Raiders. John Dibble continued in net for the Mos whilst Matt Colclough started for the Redhawks.

The opening period saw an even start with Joe Johnston finding space in the slot but being denied by John Dibble before Matt Colclough palmed away Adam Rehak’s shot to the top corner. Ashley Jackson then struck the outside of the post from between the faceoff circles before the opening goal came at 05.35 – Alex Sampford’s effort form out wide leading to a scramble right in front from which Liam Rasmussen emerged victorious having poked the puck home for the Redhawks. The Mos attempted to answer as Rehak sent a cross-ice pass to an unguarded Arran Strawson at the back stick, but Colclough blocked with the body, before Bailey Wootton seized a loose puck in the high slot and had a clear sight of the target but his drive was too close to the goalie. Minor penalties on both Vaclav Drabek and Adam Wood were not capitalised on by the visitors who then nearly conceded a second before the break – George Norcliffe almost finding the near top corner from wide right but Dibble’s swift glove keeping the deficit to just one with twenty minutes gone.

In the second frame the Dynamos continued to push without reward as Adam Rehak skipped around Vaclav Drabek but found Matt Colclough’s shoulder blocking his goalbound effort before Colclough came up trumps again when Callum Fowler and Steve Oman’s one-two unlocked the defence but Osman was denied from right in front. It was slightly against the run of play then that the hosts doubled their lead – Callum Best skating the length of the ice, between the D pairing of Elliott Dewey and Arran Strawson and dispatching a pinpoint shot into the far corner of the net beyond the outstretched leg of John Dibble at 24.14. Consecutive minor penalties to Adam Wood and Ryan Giles again saw the visitors flounder on the powerplay though the puck was in the net at 29.13 only for referee Blaine Evans to wash it out having blown his whistle for a netminder freeze. Finally, at 30.16, the Dynamos replied – Tommy Ralph’s blue line shot given up for the rebound and a combination of Ashley Jackson and Rehak forcing home from close left – the import awarded the goal. Despite the Mos halving the deficit to 2-1 it was actually Streatham who had the better of what remained in the frame – Ryan Webb’s effort from the slot turned away by the pads of Dibble before Webb attempted to tee up Sean Scarbrough at the back stick with only the diving interception of Dewey preventing a goal.

In the final frame the Mos had work to do but another powerplay went begging as James Warman’s boarding penalty went unpunished by the visitors. John Dibble then had to deny a Sean Scarbrough one-timer whilst a Haydn Wootton effort from the right circle was thwarted by the defiant pads of Matt Colclough. As time began to progress towards the game’s conclusion the play became more frantic – Scarbrough so close to converting with a wraparound attempt but Dibble doing well to quickly make up the ground and block at the near post before later turning a George Norcliffe drive over the bar with the Streatham forward unleashing from the left circle. In response Joshua Condren’s wrist shot from close right was diverted wide by Colclough who also somehow readjusted to stop Ashley Jackson’s flicked redirect on a deflected Arran Strawson blue line drive. Colclough was a man in form and he fully earned his man of the match beers with seconds to go – the Mos pulling John Dibble for six skaters and Adam Rehak being picked out all alone close right but unable to beat the netminder with a one-timer. Defeat for the Mos was then rubber stamped at 59.14 – Streatham’s Alex Sampford sending a lofted shot towards the empty net from his own defensive third with pinpoint accuracy that saw the game finish 3-1 in favour of the hosts.
So it was a road loss for the Dynamos who will be more disappointed with the result than the performance – the travelling side outshooting their hosts by 32 efforts to 24. In an even encounter the Redhawks made their clearer chances count whilst the Mos failed to capitalise on their opportunities and found Matt Colclough in a defiant mood. Man of the match beers deservedly went to Streatham’s netminder whilst Elliott Dewey took the honours for the away side.

Written by Paul Bennett.

Our Partners